"Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ has made us free,
and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage." Galatians 5:1

Are you living the abundant, joy filled life of freedom God intended for you or do you live a life driven and fueled by fear and worry? I invite you to join me as I learn to walk in the freedom that God has given me as His child.


Tuesday, September 11, 2012

The Joy of the Lord


This year I am heading up a local mentor group for new homeschoolers.  The ladies in this group have been such a blessing to me.  Their enthusiasm as they begin, their transparency as they share their struggles and failures and the accountability I have to point them to Jesus, our source of strength and wisdom in our lives and homeschool journey.

This morning as I was praying for this lovely group of ladies, the song..."the joy of the Lord is my strength", popped into my mind.  Looking up references to the joy of the Lord, I discovered Nehemiah 8:9b-10.

"...For all the people wept, when they heard the words of the law.  Then he said unto them, Go your way, eat the fat, and drink the sweet, and send portions unto them for whom nothing is prepared: for this day is holy unto our Lord: neither be ye sorry(grieve); for the joy of the Lord is your strength."

Here is what I took away from these verses(this is not proven theology, just what my Spirit received as I read and pondered these verses):

1.  They wept when the heard the words of the law.   Many times I weep when I compare who I am and what I've done to what my heart longs to be and do according to the standard set in His word.  The truth is often times painful.

2.  They were encouraged to go, move forward, follow the way He had for them, to eat, drink and give.  Why because God is holy!  It is in His holiness that we can rejoice!  One of my favorite songs is, "Who Am I"  by Casting Crowns.  I love this part of the chorus:

Not because of who I am
But because of what You've done
Not because of what I've done
 
But because of who You are

3.  Finally they were encouraged to take heart because the joy of the Lord is their strength.  It is only in Christ that we can be who and what He has called us to be.  It is only in Him that we will be kind, patient, loving, good, unselfish....

As we go the way He has for us today, I encourage you all to let His joy be our strength.  I know I am going to begin to search His word for verses on joy!  I need joy and strength desperately. 

"Through the Lord’s mercies we are not consumed, Because His compassions fail not. They are new every morning;  Great is Your faithfulness.“The Lord is my portion,” says my soul, “Therefore I hope in Him!” The Lord is good to those who wait for Him, To the soul who seeks Him. It is good that one should hope and wait quietly or the salvation of the Lord."  Lamentations 3:22-26

Living Free In Him

2 comments:

Kristal said...

What a great reflection

Kim Cunningham said...

Ugh, I didn't see your post until tonight! Great post for us homeschooling moms.