"Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ has made us free,
and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage." Galatians 5:1

Are you living the abundant, joy filled life of freedom God intended for you or do you live a life driven and fueled by fear and worry? I invite you to join me as I learn to walk in the freedom that God has given me as His child.


Tuesday, October 23, 2012

TIA

Here are some photos from my week along with unrelated random thoughts.
Autumn Morning Sunrise
Over the weekend we had our first meeting for our upcoming mission trip to Uganda, and learned about, "TIA", or This Is Africa. TIA is code for relax...you're not in control and sometimes you just have to accept that life happens differently than you may expect, no matter how well you've prepared and planned. As our team leader was explaining this phenomena, I thought to myself how this actually sounds like life as a mother of 7...maybe TIA should actually be TIL. This Is Life!
Oldest & Youngest
Just yesterday I had a TIL, day. I had written up my plans the previous night. My day was full of things that needed to be done before I leave town later in the week. Then I awoke to a small child, with a burning fever. TIL! My day quickly switched from a list of "to do's" to being a mom who just sat and cuddled her little one ALL DAY LONG.
My Boys
God knew that I needed that time to breathe, relax and cuddle just as much as my little one did. Amazingly most of my to do list still got done...not sure when or how, but God provided and met each need. All I did was submit to the plan He had for me for the day.
Little Sneak
God really does care and He knows even better than we do what we need and when, but sometimes the expectations we place on ourselves or receive from others, place pressure on us and makes it difficult to to accept and submit to the plan that God has.

Embalming Experiment
Personally I long for much margin in my day, so that I can accept the interruptions and breathe deeply and enjoy life. I rarely seem to have that margin. Life is busy. Over the weekend as I had deadline backed up to deadline, I made an emergency run to the store and took my four year old along.
Watching Mommy Bake
As I was dragging her along through the store, it broke my heart that we could not slow down and enjoy the trip. She wanted to ooh and ahh over each pretty thing we passed, to taste the samples, to say hello to the strangers. I had a deadline...must get items, get home, finish task, get to party.
Making Music
In the end my project didn't get finished on time, the over the top cake we attempted to make fell and we had to settle for a normal cake and I missed precious moments with my daughter as I rushed through the day. It was in those moments of rushing that God spoke to my heart and reminded me to slow down and enjoy each moment, as a little child who lives life with enthusiasm, joy and passion and no concept of time. Praying for wisdom as I plan each day, to leave time for enjoying each precious moment He has given me.

2 comments:

Kristal said...

Love TIL...

Great reflection and praying for your trip. Love the shot with oldest/youngest and the guitar!

Kim Cunningham said...

LOL...We used to say T.I.T...This is Thailand! I guess a lot of missionaries have figured this out as a transcontinental attitude. It does save you many a headache and disappointment.

I really struggle with learning to slow down and enjoy the dailies. I often have to remind myself to calm down and that it will all get done somehow.